A Laboratory in the Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology is seeking an RA I to provide support for the human tissue biorepository. Good customer service skills are necessary, as duties will include the offsite consent of patients and data analysis. as well as the ability to collect samples across campus and offsite. Duties may also include chart reviews, autopsy collections, off-site tissue collection, freezer management, and shipping of material and quality control and assurance.
The schedule will be 6:00-2:30 Monday-Friday but may be subject to change.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
* Understand and follow experimental protocols
* Record, compile, interpret and communicate data/results
* Perform calculations involving molarities, solutions, and serial dilutions
* Follow established protocols for QA, secondary checking, and shipping frozen and paraffin tissues/slides
* Maintain laboratory inventory such as stocking lab supplies, reagents, and buffers for general lab use
* Perform monthly maintenance reports on small equipment or arrange preventative maintenance of essential lab equipment
* Communicate with investigators concerning their requests, schedule orders and ensure outgoing materials are HIP compliant
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experiences:
* Bachelor's degree in Biology or Chemistry is preferred.
* Strong project management and time management skills
* Prefer completion of the following courses and labs: Molecular Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Organic Chemistry.
* Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and use of Internet/Web based database knowledge are needed.
* Familiarity with the use of the following pieces of equipment: Centrifuges, Datamax bar code printers, HP Scanners, cassette labelers, Tissue Microarray (automated)
* Previous experience with VPIMS, StarChart/StarPanel, and IRB processes would be helpful.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.