An experimental biology research laboratory has an opening for a Research Assistant I position. The lab is primarily focused on studying the signaling networks that regulate immune responses. The qualified candidate will have a strong understanding and at least basic skills in molecular biology techniques, specifically PCR, as well as be willing to work with mice. For success within the lab, we are seeking a responsible, highly motivated self-starter with excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to work well in a team environment, along with a suitable rate of mastering lab- and project-specific skills and techniques as taught. Meticulous compliance with set procedures is a must, and a capacity to identify problems and propose potential solutions to them is a major plus.
Expected Job Responsibilities:
- Assist in mouse colony maintenance. - Under direct supervision carry out experiments to advance projects. - Read and follow established laboratory protocols. - Assist with general lab maintenance, including but not limited to freezer maintenance, inventory, and ordering of supplies. - Coordinate planning, and report data and findings to a direct experimental liaison/s enior lab person in written reports and verbally, along with possible oral presentations during weekly lab group meetings and regular (every 2-3 wk) progress meetings with the lab head.
- Minimum of a B.A./ B.S. in biology or related science.
- Solid foundation and experience with PCR.
- Willing to work with animals.
- Strong skills in MS Excel and MS Word.
- Must have good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Able to execute protocols solo after initial training, and to develop independent planning and performance skills while functioning as a member of the larger lab team.
- Experience with mouse models of allergic lung inflammation and / or flow cytometric analyses of immune cells a plus.
A Term position is a staff position that exists for a period longer than six months but is not expected to last beyond one year. Although a position may exist for a specified or indefinite period, staff who accept term positions are not guaranteed employment for the entire period; they are employed for indefinite periods within the limit of the appointment. There are no guarantees of continued employment, either within the term or when the term ends.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.