Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
· The Surgical Step-down unit (9 North) is a 27 bed progressive care inpatient adult unit. Our unit is a critical care unit that specializes in the care of the post-operative surgical patient including thoracic surgery, oncology-endocrine surgery, emergency general surgery, and head & neck surgery, among others. The patients admitted to the surgical step-down unit generally require cardiac monitoring, continuous pulse-oximetry, and more frequent assessments and interventions than can be provided in the general acute care setting. Our focus is to provide high quality intensive patient care to a diverse patient population with a wide variety of surgeries and diagnosis. Our nurses must be familiar with a range of treatments and types of care while also thinking critically to meet the needs of a more acute patient population. A typical shift includes frequent assessments and interventions for patients requiring cardiac and respiratory monitoring while also mobilizing patients to facilitate progress along their plan of care. Our unit provides our staff with the opportunity for professional and personal growth in a fast paced work environment. It is a great place to learn and grow clinically and prepares our nurses to face challenging situations and environments as they progress through their careers.
You will apply the nursing process to plan and implement the care of patients, including patient and family education and continuum of care planning. Effectively communicate pertinent patient/family information to the health care team. Collaborate in establishing patient goals and evaluates progress to ensure effective outcomes. Further your professional growth by engaging in learning activities according to the Board of Nursing standards. For more information regarding the physical requirements and environmental conditions for this job, please click here .
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.