Nursing Communication Coordinator-Pediatric Emergency-FT Nights
June 8, 2018
Nursing Communication Coordinator
Pediatric Emergency Department
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Independently works off assessment skills to activate patient care protocols to deliver patient care within the Tennessee paramedic scope of practice within the defined Vanderbilt paramedic scope of practice. Responsible for triage care in the field as well as the Emergency Department. Responsible for effective communication to ensure safe and quality patient care in paramedic team, transport and handover. For more information regarding the physical requirements and environmental conditions for this job, please click here .
· Graduate of an approved discipline specific program (or equivalent experience) and 2 years of Emergency Department Nursing experience required.
· For more information regarding the physical requirements and environmental conditions for this job, please click here .
Position Shift: 7:00 pm-7:00 am
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
JOB SUMMARY: Assigned to the Pediatric Emergency Department (PED) in which key responsibilities include managing: communication for discharge call backs with referring physicians, Comprehensive Regional Pediatric Center communication with referring hospitals, RN to RN calls from referring hospitals, managing Consultant communication, documentation of EMS communication, coordination of patient admissions, and facilitation throughput in the PED.
Provides communication to referring physicians/hospitals/other agencies.
Consistently completes and delivers accurate messages to doctors/clients.
Receives and enters data for nurse-to-nurse reports from referring hospitals and enters data electronically.
Assists physicians by paging consultants and facilitating communication between services.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
CARE PLANNING (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates ability to anticipate and plan for complex resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work. Leads members of the health care team to identify desired outcomes. Identifies relevant stakeholders and gains their commitment. Anticipates problems and obstacles before they arise. Able to adapt to changes to assignments while maintaining a high level of performance. Sets priorities with a proper sense of urgency and importance. Develops creative ideas and takes innovative action to achieve planned goals and objectives. Possesses expert knowledge, training, and experience to role model and coach less experienced peers.
PATIENT DOCUMENTATION - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of patient documentation in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering patient documentation services without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY & DOCUMENTATION - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of medical terminology and documentation in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering results without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - (NOVICE): - Demonstrates the ability to influence customers. Knows how to verify and clarify the needs and expectations of customers. Responds quickly and efficiently to customer service requests. Participates in and conducts meetings with customers. Keeps customers informed of status via standard reporting techniques. Meets the continuing service needs of a customer group, including requests for changes in work content. Responds to customers with an appropriate level of urgency, energy, persistence and tenacity.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.