Sr. Director of Advisory Boards, Councils and Volunteers
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Through the exceptional capabilities and caring spirit of its people, Vanderbilt University Medical Center leads in the delivery of exemplary health care, improving the lives of individuals and communities regionally, nationally and internationally. We combine transformative educational programs, compelling scientific discoveries, and distinctive personalized care to achieve this goal.
To consistently achieve excellence in medical science and health care, Vanderbilt University Medical Center Development builds relationships and encourages philanthropic contributions to directly impact today's work and to secure a strong future of service. Enthusiastic and timely support from our philanthropic partners enables the Medical Center as a nonprofit academic medical institution to excel in conducting groundbreaking research, training future leaders and providing compassionate care to patients.
Position Summary: The Senior Director of Advisory Boards, Councils and Volunteers reports to the Senior Vice President for Development, and leads and manages strategic volunteer programs for the Medical Center
· Establish and maintain strong and effective relationships with the Medical Center's major internal constituencies, which include: President and CEO; members of the Executive Staff; Department Chairs; Center Directors; and other key leaders. Serve as a resource for volunteer leadership and development staff in establishing and achieving strategic plans for the boards and councils, engaging the community in the work of the Medical Center and supporting the Medical Center's philanthropic goals through the participation by members.
· Lead and manage the work of the Medical Center's boards, councils and other volunteer fundraising groups as needed, currently including:
- Executive Council, CEO Top Philanthropic Board Pre-Campaign
- Canby Robinson Society Board
- Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt Board
- Vanderbilt Eye Institute Advisory Board
- Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center Board of Overseers
- Vanderbilt Kennedy Center Leadership Council
- Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center Ambassadors
- Other emerging boards/groups as determined by VUMC leadership
· Maintain a level of consistency and collaboration among the boards and councils regarding membership composition, terms of service, meeting formats (that combine social interaction with formal agendas), member roles and responsibilities, staffing configurations for the convener, and other board/council operations. Longstanding traditions of certain boards/councils are considered and managed.
· Recommend strategies and execute meeting agendas in partnership with the President and CEO, Department Chairs/Center Directors and development leadership to ensure consistent messaging and information flow among the various boards/councils and key institutional messages and priorities.
· Direct and lead board and council meetings, record proceedings and facilitate distribution of follow-up correspondence and/or key messages to board/council membership as needed.
· Maintain a master roster of current and potential board and council members.
· Identify potential board and council members, research and prioritize nominees with the support of development staff, gain approval from the Senior Vice President for Development and President and CEO, develop a recruitment plan and manage the execution of the plan.
· In collaboration with Department Chairs/Center Directors and other colleagues and board/council volunteers, provide an orientation for new members.
· Work closely with the Communications team in developing and executing a comprehensive communications plan for the boards/councils. This includes letters, emails, newsletters, website and other marketing resources so that volunteers stay informed of and full committed to the Medical Center's mission.
· To evaluate member satisfaction and board and council effectiveness, periodically survey members.
· Work with colleagues in creating outreach events and activities so that board and council members can interact with the Medical Center's faculty and staff leadership and gain a deeper understanding of the programs and priorities.
· In partnership with development officers, create a strategic plan to ensure that every board and council member makes an annual gift. Coordinate the solicitation of annual gifts from board and council members with VUMC development colleagues.
· Manage the budget for Advisory Boards, Councils and Volunteers programs
· Lead special initiatives and support institutional and leadership priorities.
· Extensive experience identifying, recruiting and managing volunteers.
· Exceptional judgement and strong problem solving abilities.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills essential.
· Must possess strong organizational skills and be detail oriented with a demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple projects.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to maintain solid working relationships with volunteers and partners across the Medical Center.
· Proven strategic planning experience and leadership skills.
· Professional attitude, appearance; the ability to exhibit tact, enthusiasm, persuasion and good judgment in interactions with others.
This is a full-time position.
Evening and weekend work as needed.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments:
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.